The Sugarcane Industry Association (LAICA; for its an acronym in Spanish), is a non-state public entity, with private and public qualities where producers and mills come together. The organization of Costa Rican sugarcane producers began in 1940 with the creation of the Protection Board for Sugarcane Agriculture. LAICA was created through Law no. 3579 in 1965, and was reorganized in 1998 through Law no. 7818.
MAIN PUBLIC OBJECTIVE OF LAICA
Keep an equitable relationship regime between sugarcane producers and sugar mills, which guarantees rational and fair participation to each sector; and, organize the factors that intervene in sugarcane production and in the creation and marketing of the products for the optimal development and stability of the agroindustry.
We know that to reap we must first sow! This is why we have kept an equitable relationship regime between sugarcane producers and sugar mills for over 80 years.
Keep an equitable relationship regime between sugarcane producers and sugar mills, which guarantees a rational and fair participation to each sector; and, organize the factors that intervene in sugarcane production and in the creation and marketing of the products for the optimal development and stability of the agroindustry.
Being the best commercial alternative in Costa Rica for all products derived from the agricultural and industrial sugar activity, offering consumers and the country the best possible products offered by this sector.
REAPING WITH BALANCE:
We are proud of the positive impact LAICA offers to the different sectors and people. We are always looking after the wellbeing of the whole value chain, with a sustainable and responsible growth.
CO-CREATING WITH THE CUSTOMER:
We believe in long-term relationships with our customers and in the important connection there is between our success and theirs.
DOING WHAT’S RIGHT:
We want to feel proud of all our actions in the relationship with our customers, partners, associates and our environment. We believe conscious actions help us be more transparent, ethical, and trustworthy.
GROWING EVERY DAY:
We believe each person must find the flame of passion that brings to life their maximum potential.
MOVING FORWARD TOGETHER:
We want out collaborators to feel they are a part of a large community where each individual’s growth makes us all better.
BREAKING THE MOLD:
We want to create conscious and sustainable growth through innovation, looking for new and better ways to make things.
The organizational structure is formed by 2 divisions: the Corporate Division that will be governed, essentially, by Public Law and the Commerce Division that will be governed by Private Law. The first in charge of the Board of Directors and the second of the Commerce Council.
- Edgar Herrera Echandi Executive and Commerce Director
- Randall Cubillo Mayorga Internal Auditor
- Rigoberto Vega Arias Legal Counselor
- Fernando Bolaños De Ford Technical Manager
- Alejandro Rodríguez Morales DIECA Manager
- Fernando Bolaños De Ford Quality Manager
- Jorge Arturo Céspedes Mata Financial Manager
- Luis Diego Malavassi Celis Operations Manager
- Sandra Vega Herrera Marketing and Sales Manager
- Zaida Solano Valverde Administrative and BSE Manager
- Eduardo Viloria Berrizbeitia Technology Manager
- Ivania Chaves Jiménez Exports Manager
- Luis Fernando Sánchez Vargas Manager at Coyol Operations Center
- Máximo Alpízar Chávez Manager at Punta Morales Operations Center (Puerto)
The Corporate Division looks after all of LAICA’s responsibilities, faculties or duties related to their ruling authorities. Governed by the Public Law, and represented by a board of directors comprised of eight proprietary members; two of which are representatives of the Minister of Agriculture and Livestock, and the Ministry of Economy, Industry and Commerce. Three representatives of the board of directors are allocated by the Federation of Chambers of Sugarcane Producers, the other three by the Sugarcane Chamber. The members of the board of directors are:
- Manuel Alfonso Chaves Solís Presidente
- Gonzalo Cubero Brealey Vicepresidente
- Yónder Araya Solórzano Secretario
- Víctor Julio Carvajal Porras Vocal
- Heiner Bonilla Porras Vocal
- Francisco Gamboa Soto Vocal
- Carlos Molina Vargas Vocal
- Ricardo A. Rojas Kopper Vocal
- José Luis Angulo Zúñiga Suplente
- Héctor Araya Salazar Suplente
- Julián Arias Varela Suplente
- Marco Antonio Benavides Moraga Suplente
- Federico Chavarría Kopper Suplente
- Alfonso Gómez Jenkins Suplente
- Patricia Rojas Morales Suplente
- José Eladio Sancho Maroto Suplente
- Edgar Herrera Echandi Director Ejecutivo
In charge of management and operations of all things related to commerce and financing activities, as well as infrastructure to receive, store, and dispatch products marketed by LAICA, like sugar, alcohol, and molasses. The members of the Commerce Board at LAICA for the period of January 1st to December 31st, 2023, according to Article 31, Law no. 7818, Organic Law of Sugarcane Agriculture and Industry are:
- José Álvaro Jenkins Rodríguez Presidente
- María Andrea Arias Grillo Vicepresidente
- Héctor Araya Salazar Secretario
- José Luis Angulo Zúñiga Vocal
- Rolando Guardia Carazo Vocal
- José Eladio Sancho Maroto Vocal
- Marco Antonio Gerardo Benavides Moraga Consejo ampliado
- Heiner Bonilla Porras Consejo Ampliado
- Alejandro Miranda Lines Miembros suplentes
- Alejandro Ponciano Lavergne Miembros suplentes
- Carlos Molina Vargas Miembros suplentes
- Manuel Alfonso Chaves Solís Miembros suplentes
- Amado Castro Fernández Miembros suplentes
- Ricardo Adolfo Rojas Kopper Miembros suplentes
- Olger Beita Ortiz Miembros suplentes ampliado
- Jorge Eduardo Acón Li Miembros suplentes ampliado
- Edgar Herrera Echandi Director Ejecutivo y de Comercialización
OPERATIONS, STORAGE AND DISTRIBUTION CENTER
At LAICA, our goal is to make things in the best way possible. For that reason, we work under an Integrated Management System that considers multiple quality, food safety and health, and occupational safety standards.See more information
Publication sugar Zafra 2021-2022
Publication honey settlement 2020 – 2021
Publication honey settlement 2019 - 2020
Publication sugar settlement Oct. 22 2015
Publication honey settlement 2016-2017 1
Publication honey settlement 2021 – 2022
Publication of the National Final Fee Production 2020-2021
Publication honey settlement Oct. 22 2015
Publication honey settlement 2017-2018
Sugar advance April 2019
Organic Law of Sugarcane Agriculture and Industry
Here you can download the Law, its objective is promoting an equitable relationship regime between sugarcane producers and sugar mills, guaranteeing a rational and fair participation for each sector.